Original Post Date 19 June 2012
Finally, it looks as though the ModMyPi Raspberry Pi case is going into production! We've got a couple of minor tweaks to the mould, and final texture to add, but we're basically there. It's worth spending the time getting it right now so we're looking at starting production towards the end of the week. Thanks for sticking with us!
Now that's a lot of hardened steel! The mould block is formed from two pieces which are clamped together at a high pressure. Molten plastic is then injected into the mould at high pressure and rapidly cooled to create the part.
Some pictures of the injection moulding mould:
Mould half for the bottom of the Raspberry Pi Case
|Mould half for the top of the Raspberry Pi Case|
A short video showing the injection moulding machine clamping the mould and creating the first T1 sample:
These T1 samples are from the first run of the mould. These samples are used to check the function of the case, making sure the two parts fit together well and the clipping function is stable. Function feedback for the T1's was good, there's a couple of small gaps which need to be tweaked out, there's some mild flash around the GPIO ports and LED holes, and the outside finish needs texturing and polishing, so we've got a couple of days more testing and tweaking but we're getting there!
Some pictures of the T1 Sample:
|T1 Sample ModMyPi Raspberry Pi Case Internal|
|T1 Sample ModMyPi Raspberry Pi Case External|